Facebook is a social networking service launched in February 2004, owned and operated by Facebook, Inc. As of September 2012, Facebook has over one billion active users, more than half of them using Facebook on a mobile device. Users must register before using the site, after which they may create a personal profile, add other users as friends, and exchange messages, including automatic notifications when they update their profile.
Facebook was founded by Mark Zuckerberg with his college roommates and fellow Harvard University students Eduardo Saverin, Andrew McCollum, Dustin Moskovitz and Chris Hughes.The website’s membership was initially limited by the founders to Harvard students, but was expanded to other colleges in the Boston area, the Ivy League, and Stanford University. It gradually added support for students at various other universities before opening to high school students, and eventually to anyone aged 13 and over. However,according to a May 2011 Consumer Reports survey, there are 7.5 million children under 13 with accounts and 5 million under 10, violating the site’s terms of service.
How can you open a facebook account?
Before you begin, you will need to prepare the following:
1. A computer with internet access, and a valid email address or valid Mobile phone to verification.
1. Go to the Facebook website at www.facebook.com, Towards the right side of the screen you will see a “Sign Up” Screen.
2. Enter your name, lastname, the desired email address and a password.
3. Choose your Birthday, Gender. Click on the green “Sign up” button.
4. After you click sign up they will ask you to verify a few words. Enter the words from the screen in the text box below it and click “sign up” again
5. Fill out your profile. Enter your high school, college, and company information on this screen. When your done, click “save and continue.” Skip this step if you do not want to put in this information.
6. Upload a photo. Click “Upload a Photo” then click on “browse” and select a picture that you want to use. Click “save and continue.” Skip this step and do it later if you wish.
7. Check your mail facebook will then send an verify to you email. There should be a link in your inbox that will verify your account.
8. You can login by going to facebook.com and entering your email and password at the top of the screen.
9. You now have a new Facebook account. Now you can find people or edit your profile further.
10. If you have any questions or problems, please refer to http://www.facebook.com/help
Most people are using facebook to Looking to meet new or catch up with old friends online.